Good Trekking Rulesor How to be a Good Trekker!
We all love nature. But we have to protect it, too. As a good trekker it is your duty to take care of your environment. Following are general rules and guidelines one must follow while trekking.
- Never leave any plastic, metal, glass thrash back. Even the organic garbage should ideally be buried. But be very carefull about plastic bottles, plastic bags and other plastic things. They do not decompose and will remain there for a few hundred years!
- Always clean the place up and leave it better than it was before.
- Be polite with the villagers and do not take advantage of them
- Respect local customs
- Do not disrespect local dieties, whatever your beliefs.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks, narcotics etc. while trekking. Believe me, they will blind you to the beauty around you and beat the purpose of your visit. They can be best enjoyed in your city/town. Also they can be dangerous if your treks involves risky traverses and climbs.
- Please do not entertain begging by the villagers. This is an increasingly disturbing phenomenon. The villagers often loose their self respect for a few rupees.
Some tips that may help you enjoy your travels more !
- sample local food [from the villagers, not cheap shops]. It is usually very different than what you usually eat.
- Buy supplies, whenever possible, from local shops. That way you bring business and currency into a very tight and poor economy. It will motivate the villagers to take care of their source. i.e. protect the enivironment.
- travel by popular local transport rather than hire expensive taxi's. That way you can see the real thing & you can meet with the real people of the land. It will enrich your experience.
abhijit rao © 1998-2002